Monday, June 1, 2020

A New Post on Another Topic: The Palace!

Here we have the Sung Palace in Hangzhou, China! It's been a focus of mine for some time, though not so from the stroke. I've been looking at the efforts on the computer and I think that I will be adding from those files too.

What you have here is a 3Dem file. In particular, with a 3D substrate and the map from A.C. Moule spread over it. None of these things were  known in China before 2005.

In 2005 I gave a report at North China Institute in Beijing when I said these things.

The Palace of the Sung has remained for 700 years, since the time of Marco Polo. In 1949 Mao Tse Dung finally won his battle and occupied the area of the Palace. He put on it a "medical facility" which remains to this day.

I discovered it when I taught in the China Summer Program at Cal Poly. I remember the first classes then and opening the Jacques Gernet's book on that subject to this day! That led to finding the book by A.C. Moule, finding the Zhejiang substrate, stretching an the Moule map over it and display the result in 3Dem. And adding hiking track marks to it. All this, my own doing.

The Palace was not "discovered" on a certain day. People lived in the area of the Palace and knowingly. But the the foreign tourist, looking at maps, it was largely undiscovered.  I will add a few things, perhaps my report on Beijing!

No comments:

Post a Comment